Kale Tempeh Ranch Salad
This salad offers a harmonious blend of textures and flavors, making it a satisfying and wholesome choice for a healthy meal. Enjoy with my tofu ranch dressing for an extra burst of protein, or my cashew ranch, or creamy ranch dressing.
For the tempeh:
- 7 oz tempeh
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3 tablespoon(s) Cajun spice blend
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
For the salad:
- 7 oz kale stems removed and shredded
- 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon zest
- 4 tablespoon(s) Vegan Ranch Dressing (see notes for links to recipes)
- 6 radishes sliced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 6 pickled onions (optional)
- 1 avocado sliced
- 4 tablespoon(s) cilantro
- Place the block of tempeh in a pot of salted water, just enough to cover it. Bring the water to the boil, then turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes to soften and remove bitter taste. Remove from the pot and slice the tempeh into 1⁄2” (1cm) slices and generously coat with Cajun spice.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet and pan-sear the tempeh, until crispy on both sides, then set aside.
- To make the salad, place the kale in a bowl and add the olive oil, a generous pinch of salt, and the lemon zest. Massage with your fingers until the kale becomes tender. Now toss through the vegan ranch dressing.
- Divide the kale salad between 2 bowls, topped with the tempeh, radishes, green onions, pickled onions and avocado. Scatter over some chopped cilantro and serve. Add extra dressing if desired
Ranch Salad Dressing Options: Oil-free: for oil-free, omit the oil and fry the tempeh in a good non-stick pan, releasing it with water or broth as needed. Omit the oil on the kale and massage with just a squeeze of lemon juice instead.
Serving: 1 serving (recipe makes 2 servings) | Calories: 442kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Sodium: 177mg | Potassium: 1473mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 10974IU | Vitamin C: 114mg | Calcium: 411mg | Iron: 6mg