The Best Homemade Pickled Onions
Pickled onions are super quick and easy to make with just 4 ingredients. They are such a beautiful color, they are tangy, sweet, and crunchy. This tasty condiment will elevate any dish. Use them on sandwiches, avocado toast, salads, soups, nachos, burgers, tacos, grain bowls, or just eat them straight from the jar. Yum!
For the pickled onions:
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) seasoned rice vinegar (see notes for substitutes)
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
Optional add-ins (choose 1 - 3 options if desired):
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) whole fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 clove(s) garlic peeled
- Pack the onion slices into a 16 oz/ 1-pint jar (or a few smaller jars). Add in any of the optional spices if desired.
- In a microwave-safe dish, mix the vinegar, water, and salt. Heat in the microwave until the mixture is hot and steaming, 1 - 2 minutes. Or if preferred, bring the mixture to a simmer on the stove in a small pot. Pour the mixture over the onions until the onions are covered, pressing down the onions if needed. If the vinegar doesn't cover the top of the onions just add more water. If there is more room in the jar, feel free to slice up some more onion and add it in.
- Allow the jars to cool then store in the refrigerator. The onions will be pickled and ready to eat in 1 hour. They will keep fresh in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- Tip: once you have eaten all the pickled onions, you can save the leftover brine and either use it in sauces and dressings. Or you can use it to make another batch of pickled onions. Strain out any bits, reheat the liquid in the microwave or in a pot on the stove, and fill the jar again with fresh onion slices.
Seasoned Rice Vinegar substitute: if you do not have seasoned rice vinegar sub for equal amounts of unseasoned rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar, and additionally add 1 - 2 tablespoons of sweetener such as agave, maple syrup, or white sugar.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 12 servings) | Calories: 7kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 0.1g | Fat: 0.01g | Saturated Fat: 0.004g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.002g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.001g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 14mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 0.4g | Vitamin A: 0.2IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 0.03mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan