Simple Caesar Salad
Creamy, garlicky, delicious! Serve this salad as is or add vegan chicken or roasted chickpeas on top to make it a little heartier!
For the Croutons:
- 2 tablespoons(s) vegan butter
- 3 slice(s) bread cubed
- 1 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
For the Salad:
- 2 romaine hearts chopped
- 1 lemons cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan for topping (optional)
- Prepare the dressing by following the directions for my Cashew Caesar Salad Dressing or my Mayo-based Caesar Salad Dressing.
- To make the croutons, melt the vegan butter in a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the bread cubes, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and salt and stir well to evenly coat. Toast the bread in the pan, stirring often, until the cubes are lightly browned and crispy. Remove from the heat.
- To assemble the salad, add the romaine to a large bowl. Dress to taste with the caesar salad dressing of your preference. Top with the croutons and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan (if using). Serve with a wedge of lemon to squeeze over your salad.
Dressings: both salad dressings are delicious! My Cashew Caesar Salad Dressing is oil-free and a little healthier, whereas my Mayo-based Caesar Salad Dressing is a little closer to the traditional texture and taste that you might expect. Oil-free: to make oil-free, be sure to use the Cashew Caesar Salad Dressing. To make oil-free croutons, omit the vegan butter. Instead, toast the bread in a regular toaster. Then slice the bread into cubes. Add the cubes to a large bowl and toss with the seasoning. You may want to lightly mist the croutons with vinegar to help the seasoning stick. Gluten-free: to make gluten-free be sure to use gluten-free bread. Make it heartier: to make this a heartier dish, add roasted chickpeas, store-bought vegan chicken slices, or my tofu bites on top.
Serving: 1serving without dressing(recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 270mg | Potassium: 548mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 12568IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 3mg