Vegan Cornbread Dressing
Crispy on the outside, tender in the middle. This dressing is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dinner table. You can optionally add in a vegan meaty bite, such as tofu crumbles, mushrooms, or vegan sausage, but the dressing will still be super delicious without these add-ins.
For the Vegan Cornbred Dressing:
- 1 batch(s) prepared Vegan Cornbread cut into 1-inch cubes, dried (see step 1)
- 4 - 5 slice(s) french loaf or similar bread cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups), dried (see step 1)
- 1/2 cup(s) vegan butter
- 4 rib(s) celery chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh sage chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) fresh thyme leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- Optional Add-ins for the cornbread dressing (choose one if you like): 1 1/2 cups vegan chorizo crumbles, 1 1/2 cups vegan tofu bacon bits, 1 batch mushroom bacon, 1 - 2 seitan sausage or store-bought vegan sausage- cooked and chopped
To dry the bread cubes:
- Dry the cornbread and French bread cubes by spreading them out on a large baking tray and cover with a clean dishtowel. Let them sit at room temperature for 2 - 3 days to dry out.Alternatively, if you are in a rush, you can dry the bread out in the oven. Preheat your oven to 250F (130C). Spread the cubes over a large baking sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes, stirring as needed, until the bread is dried.
For the optional add-ins:
- If you are using one of the optional vegan meaty add-ins, prepare these and set it aside. These can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for a few days until needed.
To make the cornbread dressing:
- Preheat your oven to 350F (180C).
- Melt the vegan butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the celery, onion, and garlic and gently cook until the veggies soften and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley, sage, thyme, and salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Add the dried bread cubes to a 13" x 9" casserole dish (4.5 quarts). Add in all of the celery, herb, and butter mixture and mix. If you are using any of the optional add-ins, stir those in now. Spoon over the vegetable broth and mix well.
- Bake uncovered until crispy on the top and tender in the center, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Make-ahead: the dried bread cubes, sautéd vegetables, and optional add-ins can be made ahead of time and stored. Assemble the cornbread dressing just before putting it in the oven and baking. OR you can prepare the entire cornbread dressing recipe in advance, bake for about 5 minutes less, allow to cool before covering and storing in the fridge for 1 - 2 days. To reheat, preheat your oven to 350F and bake until heated through, 10 - 15 minutes. Optional add-ins (choose one if you like):
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 10 servings) | Calories: 461kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 899mg | Potassium: 379mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 1223IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 3mg