Vegan Chorizo Tofu Crumbles
Easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, this vegan chorizo recipe can be used to amp up any dish! Sprinkle it on pizza, tacos, in a burrito, in a bowl, on nachos, in rice, on top of roasted potatoes, on soup, in a stuffed pepper, or anywhere you like.
- 2 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce (Gluten-Free if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) chili powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground cloves
- 1 block(s) 12oz extra-firm tofu crumbled
- Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- Mix the oil, soy sauce, vinegar and all of the spices together in a large bowl.
- Crumble the block of tofu with your fingers into the bowl with the seasoning. Mix the tofu crumbles with the seasoning making sure all of the tofu is evenly coated. Spread the tofu crumbles evenly over the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stopping to stir the tofu every now and then. Keep a close eye on it towards the end so that it doesn't burn. You want the tofu to be nice and browned. The smaller crumbles will be darker than the larger crumbles, and that's ok because it will provide a variety of texture. Enjoy hot or cold.
- Baking the tofu makes the crumbles chewy but you could alternatively cook the seasoned crumbles in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often until they darken about 10 minutes. They won't be as chewy this way but the flavour will still be there.
- This chorizo has a nice lingering spice but if you want to make it even spicier add 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder along with the other spices.
Serving: 1(1/4 of the recipe) | Calories: 130kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 593mg | Potassium: 225mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1086IU | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2mg