The Ultimate Vegan Poutine
Classic Canadian comfort food: Baked crispy French fries, topped with quick and easy dairy-free cheese curds, smothered in rich onion gravy.
Servings: 2 large servings
- 1/3 recipe(s) Melty Stretchy Gooey Vegan Mozzarella (or 1 1/2 cups store-bought vegan mozzarella) chilled for 30 minutes or overnight
- 1/4 recipe(s) Quick Vegan Onion Gravy (or other vegan gravy) (use low-sodium broth, and add soy sauce or tamari to taste if needed)
- 1 recipe(s) Crispy Baked French Fries (or store-bought freezer fries) (use 1/2 teaspoon of salt)
- To make The Ultimate Vegan Poutine: prepare the mozzarella according to directions, then chill in the fridge for a least 15 minutes, or overnight. Prepare the gravy according to direction, using a low-sodium vegetable broth. You can add more salt to taste by splashing in soy sauce or tamari which will also make the colour a richer brown. Prepare the French fries according to directions, using 1/2 teaspoon of salt. *Because all three recipes require salt, you do not want to over salt anything, you can always add more salt later!
- To assemble the vegan poutine: fill a dish with the french fries. Use a spoon to scoop small blobs of cheese onto the cheese. You can use as much or as little cheese as you like, but I found about 1/3 of the recipe was a good amount. Finish by spooning over the hot gravy to taste. Pass out the forks and dig in!
You may make the mozzarella, gravy, and soak the potatoes ahead of time if you like, so that to assemble, all you have to do is bake the fries and heat up the gravy.