Classic Vegan Baked Ziti
This delicious pasta bake is layered with a simple homemade tomato sauce and my easy vegan ricotta recipe.
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 28oz can(s) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup(s) crushed tomatoes (half of a 28oz can)
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried basil
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
For the pasta bake:
- 16 oz ziti, penne, or rigatoni (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 recipe(s) Quick Easy Tofu Ricotta (or sub 1 1/2 cups store-bought vegan cheese)
- 3 - 4 tablespoon(s) water
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegan parmesan (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 handful(s) fresh basil chopped (optional for garnish)
- To make the tomato sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent and just begin to brown. Add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and let the sauce cook, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the tomatoes are cooked.
- To cook the pasta: bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente.
- To assemble the pasta bake: Preheat your oven to 375F (190C).
- Add half of the cooked pasta to the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish. Pour over half of the tomato sauce, and then dollop on half of the tofu ricotta. Repeat with the remaining pasta and tomato sauce. Stir 3 - 4 tablespoons of water into the remaining ricotta to make it easier to spread and smooth it over the pasta and tomato sauce. Top with the vegan parmesan. Bake covered with foil for 15 minutes, remove foil and cook another 5 - 10 minutes until lightly browned and hot all the way through. Garnish with fresh basil before serving if desired.
Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 317mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 138IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 2mg