Use your waffle iron to make waffle tofu! It's crispy on the outside, tender in the middle, and makes a great vehicle for any toppings, sauces, or garnishes you like! It also makes a great high-protein substitute for toast. Quick and easy to make with just 3 ingredients!
Servings: (makes 1 giant waffle from 1 block of tofu)
For the waffle tofu:
- 1 12oz block(s) medium, firm, or extra-firm tofu drained and cut into 4 square slices
- 2 - 3 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- spray oil
For the sauce (optional, feel free to use any sauce or toppings you like):
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) hoisin
- 1 tablespoon(s) sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoon(s) sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon(s) chili garlic sauce or Sriracha (or to taste)
- Add the cornstarch to a large bowl. Take each tofu slice and coat it in cornstarch, then shake off the excess.
- Preheat your waffle maker. Before adding the tofu to the waffle iron, spray each slice generously with oil so that there are no dry spots. Lightly spray the iron with more spray oil, then arrange the tofu slices in a single layer. Close the waffle iron, then balance something heavy on top (such as a cast iron pan), to help compress the tofu as it cooks. Let the tofu cook, checking it every 5 minutes until it is lightly golden. This will take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes.
- Once the tofu is cooked it is ready to enjoy! Use it like toast and spread avocado on top, garnish with different sauces, or add any toppings you like.
- If you are making the spicy sesame scallion sauce, simply add all of the sauce ingredients to a medium bowl and mix. Spoon over the waffle tofu.
Some topping/sauce suggestions:
Serving: 1 serving (recipe makes 2 servings) | Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 0.2mg | Sodium: 1272mg | Potassium: 416mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 208mg | Iron: 5mg