Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce (No Nuts)!
The perfect vegan cheese recipe to drizzle on broccoli or a baked potato, to make nachos with, to use as a dip, to smother French fries for loaded cheesy fries, or to enjoy with anything you like! This vegan cheese recipe is made with just 10 ingredients including raw sunflower seeds and a few other pantry staples, and when combined, they make the perfect creamy cheesy nut-free cheesy deliciousness!
- ½ cup(s) raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup(s) water
- 3 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon(s) tapioca starch (also called tapioca flour) *see notes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) agave
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- ½ teaspoon(s) onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) turmeric
- Add the sunflower seeds to a small pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 - 15 minutes until the sunflower seeds are lighter in color and tender. This helps soften the sunflower seeds so that they blend smoother and creamier. Drain and rinse well.
- Add the rinsed sunflower seeds to a blender along with 1 cup fresh water, the nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, paprika, agave, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and turmeric. Blend until smooth as possible, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- Pour into a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat, while stirring often. As you stir it will start forming clumps, and then it will all thicken into a gorgeous cheesy sauce, this takes about 5 minutes. If your sauce gets too thick, feel free to thin it out with a bit of water to reach the desired texture. Remove from heat and enjoy however you like!
Tapioca starch: tapioca starch is what will give the cheese a stretchy texture. If you prefer you can use another kind of starch such as cornstarch, but note that it will not have the stretchy texture. Make-ahead/ meal prep: Store the fully cooked and cooled cheese sauce in the fridge in an air-tight container for 3 -4 days.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 142kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 296mg | Potassium: 232mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 66IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan