Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream (Cashew Base)
Just 4 ingredients to make the BEST vegan vanilla ice cream! This homemade ice cream recipe is easy to make, super rich and creamy- it's the best ice cream I've ever tasted, vegan or not!
Servings: (makes about 3 cups or 1 ½ pints)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) raw cashews (softened if needed, see step 1)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as oat or soy)
- 3/4 cup(s) white sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
Softening the cashews (optional):
- Softening the cashews first helps them blend. If you have a high-powered blender you can skip this step, but if not, this step is important to get smooth and creamy ice cream. To soften the cashews add the cashews to a small pot, cover with water, and boil for about 10 minutes until the cashews are very tender. Drain and rinse cashews before using.
To make the ice cream:
- Prepare your ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Add the cashews, plant-based milk, sugar, and vanilla to your blender. Blend until completely smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape the sides if needed. Make sure that the cashews are completely blended and no bits remain. Pour the ice cream mixture into your ice cream maker and churn the ice cream for about 25 minutes until it reaches a soft serve consistency. Enjoy immediately, or for firmer ice cream, spread into a sealable container and freeze for 2 hours or overnight until firm. Scoop and enjoy! Store leftover dairy-free ice cream in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to two weeks.
Add-ins: if you want to incorporate any add-ins such as broken-up cookies, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or frozen berries, pour them into the ice cream maker in the last 5 minutes of churning. No ice cream maker technique: if you do not have an ice cream machine, make the ice cream base as directed and then follow the directions in How to Make Ice Cream in a Blender.
Serving: 1½ cup serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 34mg | Potassium: 299mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 232IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 2mg