Vegan Seitan Bites - Sticky Garlic and Buffalo
This classic bar food served with vegan blue cheese dip and all! Make ahead recipe.
Servings: (makes 25 - 30 seitan bites)
For the seitan wings:
- 1 recipe(s) Vegan Seitan Tenders Seitan Tenders (or store-bought vegan chicken) cut into wing sized pieces *see step 1
- 2 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable), more if needed
Sticky garlic sauce:
- 6 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/3 cup(s) agave or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) corn starch
Spicy buffalo sauce:
- 1/3 cup(s) Franks red hot (or similar hot sauce)
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegan butter melted
To make the seitan into bite sized pieces:
- Make the recipe for Vegan Seitan Tenders. Instead of forming the seitan into oval shapes, use scissors to cut the dough into small wing sized pieces (they will almost double in size, so keep them on the smaller size). One batch of seitan tenders should make about 25 to 30 wing sized pieces.
- Spread the pieces out on a well-greased steamer basket. Use spray oil to generously coat the seitan bites to stop them from sticking to each other as you layer them. Steam at a simmer for 25 minutes. The seitan bites will merge together into one lump, but don’t worry, let the seitan cool and shrink up a bit. Once cool you will be able to pull apart the seitan bites from each other. If any stick, simply use a knife or scissors to cut pieces.*Alternatively, if you have already prepared Vegan Seitan Tenders, you can use a knife or scissors to chop the tenders into wing sized pieces.Let cool, covered in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 3 – 4 days before frying.
To prepare the seitan bites for serving:
- Make the sticky garlic sauce: in a small pot, whisk together the garlic, syrup of choice, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and corn starch while everything is still cold. Turn on the heat to medium, and cook for about 5 minutes, being careful not to burn, whisking often until the sauce thickens a bit. Toss half of the fried seitan bites in the sticky garlic sauce.
- Make the buffalo sauce: whisk together the hot sauce with the melted vegan butter.
- Fry the vegan seitan bites: heat two tablespoons of light oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the bites and fry a couple minutes per side, turning as needed until they are golden brown all over. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan, adding more oil if needed.
- Toss half of the fried seitan bites in the sticky garlic sauce, and the remaining half in the buffalo sauce. Serve hot with vegan blue cheese dip, celery and carrot sticks.
*If you would prefer your seitan bites to be all one flavour, make a double batch of the sauce of your choice, and skip the other sauce recipe. Toss all of the seitan bites in your double batch of sauce. *The seitan bites can be made ahead of time, and so can the sauces. So when you are ready to feast you can just fry up the seitan bites and toss in the premade sauces. Or they actually reheat very well too! Meaning you could even make the seitan bites fully prepared with sauces and all, then just reheat, covered in a pot along with the sauce, over medium-low heat Soy-Free: for soy-free, substitute a soy sauce for a soy-free option such as coconut aminos.
Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1891mg | Potassium: 318mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 265IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 3.5mg