Vegan Garlic Seared Scallops
Creamy, garlicky, buttery, slightly nutty, and all-around amazing! Just 13 minutes to make and just 9 ingredients! Perfect for an appetizer, or as a main with served with pasta or potatoes and a veg.
- 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 200 g king oyster mushrooms sliced into 1" thick rounds (see step 1)
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegan butter
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable broth or dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh parsley chopped, for garnish (optional)
- 1 lemons cut into wedges, for garnish (optional)
- You can use baby king oyster mushrooms or large king oysters, they will just make for smaller or larger scallops. (In this recipe I used baby king oysters). Slice the mushroom stems into 1 inch thick rounds. You can either save the mushroom caps for another recipe or use them in this dish (they just won't look much like scallops).
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add the mushroom rounds in a single layer. Cook 2-4 minutes until golden brown on the bottom, then flip and brown on the other side. When
- When the mushrooms are golden on both sides, push them to the side of the pan. Melt the vegan butter in the pan and then add the garlic. Sauté the garlic for about 1 minute until fragrant and it just begins to brown. Add the vegetable broth or wine, salt, pepper. Stir to incorporate the mushrooms into the sauce. Garnish with parsley and wedges of lemon if desired. Serve hot.
Mushrooms: king oyster mushrooms have a thick white stem and small brown cap. Don't confuse them with oyster mushrooms that are thin, layered, and grey. Only king oyster mushrooms will work for the scallop look, but any mushroom would be delicious prepared in this way. Serving: serve scallops with something starchy such as pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, and a veg such as broccoli, roasted eggplant, or garlic green beans. Oil-free: for oil-free, simply do a broth sauté and then whisk in a bit of nutritional yeast to substitute the butter.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 105kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 237mg | Potassium: 236mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 358IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan