Hearty Tofu Scramble
This is my favourite hearty classic vegan breakfast recipe. Spiced to perfection with peppers, beans, onions, and mushrooms for a perfect savoury brunch.
For the spice mix:*
For the tofu scramble:
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetalbe)
- 8 oz button mushrooms sliced (about 1 1/2 cups sliced)
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 16oz block(s) medium or firm tofu
- 1 19oz can(s) black beans (2 cups) drained and rinsed
- Add all of the spice mix ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add the mushrooms, pepper, onion, and garlic and sauté for about 8 minutes until everything just starts to brown.
- Add the tofu blocks and break it apart with your spoon until you get a nice scramble texture with lots of chunks. Stir in the spice mix and black beans. Heat through for another 5 - 8 minutes until hot.
*You can double, triple, or quadruple this spice mix and save it in a jar. That way you can have it on hand, ready to go for future tofu scrambles. Or give this scramble blend a try!
Serving: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 9g | Sodium: 600mg | Potassium: 366mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1080IU | Vitamin C: 40.7mg | Calcium: 152mg | Iron: 2.6mg