Easy Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
These easy vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls are the perfect treat on a chilly autumn day. Soft, moist, pumpkin-infused dough, swirled with buttery brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice, and topped with a simple vegan cream cheese icing. These rolls are also easy to make, requiring no yeast at all! Perfect for a make-ahead breakfast.
For the vegan pumpkin roll dough:
- 4 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup(s) vegan butter cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup(s) pumpkin pureé (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup(s) plant-based milk such as oat or soy
For the pumpkin spice filling:
- 1/4 cup(s) vegan butter melted
- 1 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) pumpkin pie spice
For the icing (optional):
- 1 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegan butter soft but not melted
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- pumpkin pie spice for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Line with parchment paper or grease a 9"x 12" baking dish. *Make sure you use a 9" x 12" pan or equivalent. For the cinnamon buns to stay soft they need to expand into each other. If they have too much room around each bun, they can end up getting crispy.
Make the pumpkin roll dough:
- Bowl method: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Add in the vegan butter cubes and use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter into the flour until you reach a grainy texture. Add the pumpkin pureé plant-based milk and combine to make a shaggy dough.Food processor method: in a large food processor add the flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice, and pulse to combine. Add in the vegan butter cubes and pulse until the butter is mixed into the flour. Add the pumpkin pureé plant-based milk and pulse several times, stopping to scrape the sides to make a shaggy dough. It's ok if there is still some loose powder.
- Turn the dough onto a clean work surface use your hands to knead the dough together incorporating any leftover dry ingredients until it all comes together into a nice ball. Let the dough rest in a bowl for 10 - 15 minutes before proceeding for the best dough texture. Resting allows the dough to get stretchy which is a must for gorgeous pull apart cinnamon buns!
Make the rolls:
- Once the dough has rested, lightly flour a clean work surface and roll the dough with a rolling pin until you get a rectangle about 19" x 14".
- Pumpkin spice sugar filling: Pour the melted vegan butter over the rolled-out dough and use a pastry brush or the back of a spoon to spread evenly over the dough. In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice, then sprinkle the mixture evenly over the melted butter.
- Form the rolls: Starting from the long side of the dough rectangle, use your hands to gently roll the dough up. Once rolled, use a sharp knife to cut 12 cinnamon rolls by gently sawing with the knife. I like to mark out each bun by lightly scoring the surface of the roll before doing the final cuts, to ensure even sized cinnamon buns.
- Bake: Place the rolls in the baking dish, swirl side up, and bake for 28 - 33 minutes until puffed up and lightly golden. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
For the icing:
- Combine the powdered sugar, vegan butter, vanilla extract, and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Spread the icing over the rolls (it's ok if it's messy). Then sprinkle with a few pinches of pumpkin pie spice. Enjoy!
Storing: store leftover pumpkin rolls covered at room temperature for 2 - 3 days. Rolls can be frozen (with icing and all) in an air-tight container, then let thaw completely at room temperature. Make ahead: cinnamon rolls can be prepared, cut, and placed in the baking dish, and kept covered in the fridge for up to two days. When ready to bake, let them warm to room temperature for 20 - 30 minutes, then bake and frost following the recipe.
Serving: 1roll with icing (recipe makes 12 rolls) | Calories: 445kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 375mg | Potassium: 335mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 3411IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 3mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan