Vegan Pumpkin French Toast
With just 7 ingredients this vegan pumpkin French toast is easy to make. Lightly crisp on the outside, tender in the middle, and infused with pumpkin spice flavors, it's the most delicious way to start your day!
Servings: - 4
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons plant-based milk (such as oat or soy)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup(s) pumpkin pureé (cooked and pureéd pumpkin, I use canned) (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tablespoon(s) maple syrup (plus more for serving)
- 1 teaspoon(s) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- light oil (such as canola or vegetable) for frying
- 6 slice(s) bread day-old (gluten-free if preferred)
- In a wide medium bowl, whisk together the plant-based milk and cornstarch so that the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Now whisk in the pumpkin pureé, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract.
- Lightly oil a large non-stick pan with a bit of oil. When the pan is hot and ready, dip a slice of bread into the pumpkin mixture and coat both sides, and gently shake off excess. Do not soak the bread in the pumpkin mixture or it will get too soggy, just quickly dip both sides. Place the bread in a hot pan and cook for 3 - 5 minutes per side until golden brown on both sides. It's best to cook the French toast slowly so that it gets crisp on the outside and cooks through to the middle. You will likely need to work in batches depending on the size of your pan. Serve hot with maple syrup, vegan butter, coconut whipped cream, and an extra sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice if desired.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 3 servings) | Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Sodium: 294mg | Potassium: 270mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 6554IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 3mg