Vegan Coffee Ice Cream
Just 5 easy ingredients are all it takes to make this super creamy ice cream that is infused with your favorite espresso or coffee! I use an ice cream machine but also have a no-churn ice cream machine method for those who do not have one.
Servings: (makes about 3 cups or 1 ½ pints)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) raw cashews softened if needed, see step 1
- 1 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as oat or soy)
- 3/4 cup(s) white sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) (4 shots) espresso or very strongly brewed coffee cooled
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
Softening the cashews (optional):
- Softening the cashews first helps them blend. If you have a high-powered blender you can skip this step, but if not, this step is important to get smooth and creamy ice cream. To soften the cashews add the cashews to a small pot, cover with water, and boil for about 10 minutes until the cashews are very tender. Drain and rinse cashews before using.
To make the ice cream:
- Prepare your ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions. I have this Cuisinart ice cream maker which I love. No ice cream maker technique: if you do not have an ice cream maker, make the ice cream base as directed then follow the directions in this post: How to Make Ice Cream in a Blender.
- Add the cashews, plant-based milk, sugar, espresso or coffee, and vanilla to your blender. Blend until completely smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape the sides if needed. Make sure that the cashews are completely blended and no bits remain.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into your ice cream maker and churn the ice cream for about 25 minutes until it reaches a soft serve consistency. Enjoy immediately, or for firmer ice cream, spread into a sealable container and freeze for 2 hours or overnight until firm. Scoop and enjoy! Store leftover dairy-free ice cream in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to two weeks.
Add-ins: if you want to incorporate any add-ins such as broken-up cookies, chopped nuts, or chocolate chips, add them into the ice cream maker in the last 5 minutes of churning. No ice cream maker technique: if you do not have an ice cream maker, make the ice cream base as directed then follow the directions in this post: How to Make Ice Cream in a Blender. Ninja Creami technique: pour the blended mixture evenly among two Ninja Creami pints. Freeze overnight. Use the Ice Cream setting.
Serving: 1 serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 27mg | Potassium: 292mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 155IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2mg