The Best Vegan Apple Pie Ever! (Easy Recipe)
If you’re looking to impress someone with an incredible vegan pie, this recipe is for you! A golden flaky buttery crust, filled with sweet apples, and warm spices make this the best vegan apple pie ever! Making apple pie is always a bit time consuming, but I share with you all of my tricks to make this recipe as easy and delicious as possible. Easy as apple pie one might say ;)
Servings: (makes one 9" pie)
- 2 batch(es) Vegan All-Butter Flaky Pie Crust or my shortening-based pie crust recipe or vegan store-bought double pie crust
- 2 1/2 pound(s) apples (I like half granny smith and half mcintosh) peeled, cored, and sliced ½" thick
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup(s) white sugar plus more for sprinkling, optional
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour gluten-free if preferred
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) pumpkin pie spice
- 2 - 3 tablespoon(s) aquafaba see notes
- Preheat your oven to 375F (190C).
- Prepare the apples: while you're slicing the apples, toss them with the lemon juice in a large bowl to help stop them from browning as you continue to slice the rest.
- Mix the seasonings: in a small bowl mix together the white sugar, brown sugar, flour, and pumpkin pie spice. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the apple slices and toss the apples well to evenly coat.
- Assemble the pie: roll out ½ of the pie dough to make the bottom crust. Line a 9" pie plate with the dough. Fill the pie with the prepared apples stacking them to make a heaping mound. (The apples will cook down so it's important to fill the pie as much as you can using all of the apple slices). Roll out the remaining dough and place it on top of the pie and crimp the edges together. You can be as creative as you like with the crust or keep it as simple as you like, just make sure there are holes for steam to escape. Finish the pie by brushing the top generously with aquafaba (this will help it get golden in the oven). You can optionally sprinkle the pie crust with a little white sugar before baking for a little extra sparkle.
- Bake the pie: place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips and then bake the pie at 375F (190C) for 20 - 25 minutes until the top just begins to show light browning. Reduce the oven heat to 350F (180C) and finish cooking the pie for another 40 - 60 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the pie is golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.
Apples: In my recipe testing I discovered that I love the combination of mixing Granny Smith Apples and Mcintosh. Granny Smith are sturdy and tart, and Mcintosh is sweet and tender. The combo makes the best pie filling! Pumpkin Pie Spice: One of my tricks to making the best apple pie ever is to use pumpkin pie spice, which is a mixture of cinnamon, powdered ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. This not only saves measuring each ingredient but it makes for the best combination of spices!! You can buy pumpkin pie spice in grocery stores or make it yourself following my recipe. Aquafaba: Aquafaba is the liquid in a can of chickpeas and is the key to getting your pie the perfect golden color. I recommend generously brushing the top of the pie crust with aquafaba before baking. You won't taste any bean flavor, I promise. You can optionally sprinkle the pie crust with sugar before baking for a little extra sparkle. How To Make Ahead & Store: Apple pie can be cooled and then stored, loosely covered at room temperature for up to two days, or up to 5 days in the fridge. You can freeze apple pie as well. Place the cooled uncovered apple pie in the freezer, once frozen solid, wrap the pie in plastic wrap or cover in air-tight covering , and place back in the freezer. It should keep for up to 3 months. Gluten-free: to make this pie gluten-free use a gluten-free pie crust mix, recipe, or store-bought gluten-free pie crust. Sub the flour in the apple filling for a gluten-free all-purpose flour.
Serving: 1slice of pie (recipe makes 8 slices) | Calories: 507kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 249mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 1215IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 3mg