Pasta alla Norma (Eggplant and Tomato Pasta)
This hearty pasta is made with eggplant and tomato making it the perfect comforting meal. This sauce is traditionally served over pasta, but it's also nice served over polenta or brown rice.
- 2 medium eggplant cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoon(s) oil from sundried tomatoes divided (or sub olive oil)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 14 oz can(s) diced tomatoes
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes sliced
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon(s) white sugar
- 16 oz pasta of choice (gluten-free if preferred)
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to instructions on the packaging.
- Place the eggplant on a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato oil. Season with a pinch of salt and bake until fork-tender, about 35 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the sun-dried tomato oil in a large skillet or nonstick pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and sugar. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the eggplant once it is finished cooking. Toss the hot pasta with the finished sauce and enjoy!
Oil-free: to make oil-free purchase sun-dried tomatoes that are air-packed. Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in hot water for 10 minutes before using to soften them. Use 1 tablespoon vegetable broth or aquafaba to roast the eggplant. And then do a water or broth sauté to cook the onions and garlic.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 598kcal | Carbohydrates: 112g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 99mg | Potassium: 1281mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 352IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 4mg