Easy Vegan Apple Crumble
Tender and sweet apples with a crunchy crumbly buttery topping and warming spices! This easy vegan apple crumble is the best dessert to enjoy during the cooler months and when apples are in season. It's simple to make, can be made ahead of time, and is always a crowd-pleaser.
For the Apples:
- 2 lb(s) granny smith apples 6 - 7 apples measured before peeling and coring (see step 2 for prep )
- 1/4 cup(s) white sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour (use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend, if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
For the Crumble:
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour (use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend, if preferred)
- 3/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 cup(s) rolled oats (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1/2 cup(s) melted vegan butter
- optional for serving with apple crumble: vegan vanilla ice cream
For the apples:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Peel and core the apples and cut them into chunks about ¾ inch in size. Spread the apples in a 6-cup (1.4 liters) baking dish. Sprinkle the sugar, flour, lemon juice, and cinnamon over the apples and toss to coat the apples evenly.
For the crumble
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and baking powder. Add the oats and melted vegan butter and mix well.
- Use your hands to sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly over the apples, and as you sprinkle, squeeze clumps of the crumble mixture together to make larger crumble pieces (yum)!
- Bake uncovered for 35 - 40 minutes until golden brown and the apples are tender when pierced with a knife. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with vegan vanilla ice cream if desired.
Extra apple filling: this recipe is about 50% apple filling and 50% crumble topping which I think is the perfect balance! If you prefer more apple filling, increase the quantities to: 3 lbs apples, ¾ cup white sugar, 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice, and ¾ teaspoon cinnamon. When baking you may need a slightly bigger baking dish and an extra 5 - 10 minutes longer in the oven to cook through the apples. Make Ahead/ Freezer-friendly:
- Make ahead unbaked: assemble the apple crumble and then cover. Store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, uncover and bake. It may need a couple of extra minutes in the oven if baking from cold.
- Make ahead fully baked: allow the apple crumble to cool then store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat individual servings in the microwave, or reheat the entire crumble in the oven at 350°F (180°C) until heated through, about 15 minutes).
- Freeze: you can freeze unbaked crumble or fully baked and cooled crumble. Cover the crumble tightly, then freeze for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw completely before baking or reheating.
Serving: 1serving not including ice cream (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 459kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 133mg | Potassium: 316mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 803IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 2mg