Vegan Wonton Soup
Easy and so yummy. The wontons are stuffed with slightly sweet, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and rice vinegar marinated mushrooms and chopped walnuts. The texture combo is amazing.
Servings: 4 as an appetizer (makes about 20 wontons)
For the wontons filling:
- 3 1/2 oz button mushrooms chopped (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup(s) walnuts finely chopped
- 1 green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 inch(s) fresh ginger minced or grated
- 1 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoon(s) soy sauce (Gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon(s) brown sugar
- 20 or so Vegan Wonton Wrappers (homemade or store-bought) (see notes)
For the soup:
- 1 L vegetable broth (4 cups)
- 2 green onions chopped
To make the wontons:
- Add all the of the seasonings along with the chopped mushrooms and walnuts to a bowl and toss well to combine. I preferred the walnuts when they were chopped finely so they weren’t as crunchy, but if you like more crunch, leave them larger, it's up to you!
- Now you can set up your wonton making station by taking your wonton or dumpling wrappers, a small bowl of water, and your filling. Make the wontons by taking one wonton wrapper, putting about 1 teaspoon of filling in the middle. Dip your finger or a brush in some water and run around the edges of the wonton. Fold over and firmly pinch the edges together to seal in the filling. Optionally, you can then wet the two points and fold the wonton in half and pinch the points together. This just makes for a pretty shape, but I found that about half of the wontons undid when boiled anyways so it’s totally optional. Half moon wontons are pretty too.
To make the soup:
- Bring your vegetable broth to a boil and drop the wontons in one at a time. Boil for 5 minutes. Serve the soup by dividing the broth and dumplings between 4 bowls, and garnishing with the green onions.
I couldn't find egg-free wonton wrappers so I just used some dumpling wrappers I found that were vegan-friendly. Alternatively, you could make your own with my recipe for vegan wonton & dumpling wrappers here. Soy-Free: for soy-free, substitute a soy sauce for a soy-free option such as coconut aminos.