The perfect hearty soup for a chilly night, but surprisingly easy to make. Tomatoes, hearty black beans, pops of sweet corn, seasoned to perfection with Mexican spices. Top that with crispy tortilla strips, creamy avocado, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of zesty lime. Hello flavour!
Servings: servings (makes about 2 litres)
For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil such as canola or vegetable
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 4 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can(s) diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 19oz can(s) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup(s) corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 3 small corn tortillas OR 3 handfuls of tortilla chips (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon(s) light oil (needed only if frying your own tortillas - see instructions)
- 1 avocados sliced
- 1 handful(s) fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- For the soup: add the oil to a large pot and put over medium-high heat. When hot add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown. Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked through.
- Stir in the black beans and corn and cook an additional 5 minutes until everything is nice and hot.
- For the tortillas: in the meantime, you can make the tortilla strips. If you don’t want to fuss with this, simply use tortilla chips and skip this process. To make the tortilla strips, cut the tortillas into small strips. Heat the oil in a frying pan, and when hot, add the strips in a single layer. Fry for about 1 minute per side, flipping when the bottom is golden to fry the other side. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- To assemble the soup: scoop a serving of soup into a bowl. Top with avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips (or tortilla chips), and a squeeze of lime.
As with all tortilla soup, the tortilla strips get soggy as they sit in the soup, so I like to have a bowl of the tortillas on the table and everyone can top as they go to have the desired crunch all the way through.
Calories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 266mg | Potassium: 287mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 305IU | Vitamin C: 9.1mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg