Vegan Sunflower Seed Cheese
This nut-free vegan cheese is quick and easy to make with just 9 ingredients. Serve this vegan cheese with crackers or bread, spread on a sandwich, add to a salad, or use it anywhere you like! School safe!
Servings: 2 wheels of cheese (about 4 inches diameter)
- 2 cup(s) raw sunflower seeds, softened (see step 1)
- 1/4 cup(s) nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup(s) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup(s) refined coconut oil
- 4 teaspoon(s) white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) turmeric
- For serving with sunflower seed cheese: crackers or bread (gluten-free if prefferred)
To soften the sunflower seeds:
- You will first need to soften the sunflower seeds. Softening them will make them easier to blend and will result in a smoother cheese. You can either boil or soak the seeds. To boil: put the sunflower seeds in a medium-sized pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 10 - 15 minutes until the sunflower seeds have softened. Drain and rinse before using. Or to soak: place the sunflower seeds in a bowl and cover the seeds with water. Soak overnight until tender. Drain and rinse before using.
To make vegan sunflower seed cheese:
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until the mixture is as smooth as possible, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- Prepare your mold(s) by lining them with plastic wrap or parchment paper, or you can use a silicone mold. You can use any mold or dish you like, I used two of these mini springform pans to make two wheels of cheese. Once the cheese is blended, scoop the cheese mixture into a mold of choice and smooth the top. Cover and chill in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight to let the cheese firm up. The cheese will be firmer fresh out of the fridge but will soften as it sits out. Serve this vegan cheese with crackers or bread, spread on a sandwich, add to a salad, or use it anywhere you like!
Make ahead: The vegan cheese will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for about a week or this sunflower seed cheese also freezes well. Just wrap tightly then store in an air-tight container and freeze. Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, swap out the miso for chickpea miso!
Serving: 1wheel of cheese (recipe makes 2) | Calories: 1078kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 97g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Sodium: 1043mg | Potassium: 1072mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 560IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 8mg