Spinach & Artichoke Pasta Bake
This is a great dish for an easy weeknight dinner. This pasta tastes just like the classic dip, but disguised as dinner.
For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 cup(s) raw cashews
- 1/4 cup(s) lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup(s) nutritional yeast
- 4 clove(s) garlic
- 2 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt (or to taste)
For the topping:
- 3/4 cup(s) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegan butter melted
- 1 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) chili powder
For the pasta:
- 4 cup(s) penne or other short pasta (454g)
- 12 oz artichoke hearts drained and roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 11 oz fresh or frozen spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- To make the sauce: you can boil or soak the cashews. To boil the cashews:Cover the cashews with water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and boil for about 10 minutes until the cashews are very tender, then drain. To soak the cashews:Put the cashews in a bowl, and cover them with water. Let soak for 3-8 hours until very tender then drain.
- Add the cashews along with all of the remaining sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until very smooth and creamy.
- To make the topping: mix together all of the topping ingredients.
- To make the pasta:cook the pasta according to package directions. In the last 30 seconds of cooking time, add all of the spinach to the boiling water along with the pasta. Stir the spinach in until it is all wilted, then drain pasta and spinach together.
- Add the pasta and spinach back into the pot, and add the onion, artichoke, and all of the sauce. Stir to combine. Spread the pasta out into a baking dish. Then evenly shake the breadcrumb mixture overtop. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until hot all the way through, and the breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Serve hot.
Gluten-Free: use gluten-free pasta such as brown rice pasta (my favourite), and gluten-free bread crumbs. Oil-Free: skip the tablespoons of vegan butter in the topping. Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, choose almond or oat milk rather than soy milk.
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan