Vegan Spicy Sausage Pasta
Total Italian comfort food! Homemade vegan seitan sausages tossed in a spicy tomato sauce for a perfect hearty meal.
- 16 oz pasta of choice (gluten-free if preferred)
- 3 Homemade Italian Seitan Sausages (or store-bought vegan sausage)
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil divided
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper flakes (reduce or omit if preferred)
- 1 650ml jar(s) prepared tomato sauce (or 2 3/4 cups homemade)
- vegan parmesan (homemade or store-bought) (optional for garnish)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare the pasta according to package directions.
- Slice the sausages diagonally into thick slices. In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the sliced sausages and fry a couple of minutes on each side until browned. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 4 minutes until the onions start to turn translucent. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and continue to cook for another minute until the onion begins to brown. Add the tomato sauce and heat through.*I love adding freshly sautéd onions and garlic to a store-bought sauce to enhance the flavours and make it taste homemade. If you made your tomato sauce from scratch you can choose to omit the extra onions and garlic if you wish.
*nutrition is based on one serving which is 1/6 of the recipe. *time for the recipe does not include the time to make the seitan sausages.
Calories: 482kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1051mg | Potassium: 724mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 692IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 4mg