Vegan Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
Pillowy soft, cakey, frosted cookies- they are almost like the top of a cupcake that got smushed into a cookie complete with frosting and sprinkles!
Servings: 34 cookies (give or take)
- 3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/4 cup(s) vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cup(s) white sugar
- 1 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) almond extract
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup(s) vegan butter
- 1/2 cup(s) vegetable shortening *see notes
- 3 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 - 4 tablespoon(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- vegan food colouring (optional)
- sprinkles (optional)
- To make the cookies: preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat the vegan butter and white sugar together until fluffy. Add the remaining wet ingredients and combine. The mixture won't combine well and will look curdled and that's totally fine. Now add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet, and mix together. The dough will be very soft, like a thick cake batter.
- You can either use the cookie batter right away or you can let it chill in the fridge for 1 hour. Chilling makes it a little easier to work with but does not affect the final cookie. Lightly spray a cookie scoop or large spoon with oil, and scoop 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and drop it onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat to fill your tray, evenly spacing the cookies. Wet your fingers so they don't stick to the cookies, then lightly pat the balls down into flatter shapes. Bake 11 - 14 minutes until lightly golden on the bottom. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting: using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat together the vegan butter, vegetable shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. If needed add 1 tablespoon of plant-based milk at a time until desired frosting consistency is reached. Mix in food colour if desired.
- To assemble the cookies: smear frosting on the cooled cookies then decorate with sprinkles if desired. Store cookies in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, for about 1 week in the fridge, or they also freeze well.
*I like the combination of vegetable shortening and vegan butter for the best frosting that holds well and tastes great. If you prefer you can use all vegan butter, but note that it will make the frosting softer, so you may need less non-dairy milk, and be sure to store the cookies in a cool place. Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, choose almond or oat milk rather than soy milk.
Calories: 211kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 26mg | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 445IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 0.5mg