Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes
Mint chocolate cake with peppermint infused frosting, decorated with crushed candy canes.
- 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup(s) white sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/3 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- 1/3 cup(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup(s) vegan butter
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond), if needed
- 5 candy canes crushed
- For the cupcakes: preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Line a cupcake pan with 12 parchment paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all of the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix, lumps are totally cool. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: use a stand or hand mixer, whip together the vegan butter, vegetable shortening, powdered sugar, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract. If the frosting is a bit too stiff, add 1 to 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- To decorate the cupcakes: use a pastry bag or spatula to frost the cupcakes. Decorate by sprinkling with crushed candy canes.
Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, choose almond or oat milk rather than soy milk.
Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 188mg | Potassium: 118mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 235IU | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1.3mg