Vegan Mushroom Tofu Lettuce Wraps
These lettuce wraps are easy and quick to make and are incredibly delicious. Perfect for an appetizer or light meal.
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoon(s) soy sauce (gluten-free if preferred)
- 3 tablespoon(s) hoisin (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon(s) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) natural peanut butter
- 2 teaspoon(s) Sriracha (optional for spice)
- 1 teaspoon(s) sesame oil
For the Mushroom Tofu Filling:
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger minced
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm or firm tofu drained and pressed (see step 1)
- 8 oz button mushrooms chopped
- 1 head(s) romaine or butter lettuce leaves seperated
- Optional toppings for Mushroom Tofu Lettuce Wraps: grated carrots, sesame seeds, chopped green onions, chopped peanuts, crushed red pepper flakes, or more Sriracha (optional for topping)
- Press the tofu: Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.
- Make the sauce: Add all of the sauce ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling: In a large skillet or non-stick pan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium and use your hands to crumble the tofu into the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes until the tofu begins to brown. Tip: don't stir the tofu too much, let it cook for a couple of minutes without stirring so that the bottom can brown. Stirring too often will make it difficult for the tofu to brown. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms are cooked through and darker in colour, about 5 minutes. Add all of the sauce to the tofu and mushrooms and stir to mix in. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps: Spoon a couple of tablespoons of the tofu filling into each lettuce leaf, and then garnishing with any toppings as desired.
Oil-free: to make oil-free omit the sesame oil in the sauce. Use a good non-stick pan and use water or vegetable broth instead of the light oil to sauté the onions, ginger, and garlic. Peanut Butter: sub another nut or seed butter if preferred. Meal prep/ make ahead: prepared and cooled tofu mixture can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2 -4 days. Assemble the lettuce wraps just before serving.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 227kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 992mg | Potassium: 750mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 13705IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 187mg | Iron: 3mg