Vegan Lemon Garlic Soy Curls
10 ingredients, 20 minutes to make. The tender juicy soy curls are smothered in a creamy garlic sauce bursting with fresh lemon. The most delicious easy meal! Serve over pasta, on rice, with mashed potatoes, alongside a baked potato or in anyway you enjoy!
For the marinade:
For frying the soy curls:
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as vegetable or canola)
- 1/2 cup(s) plant-based milk (see notes)
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional for lemon soy curls)
- Warm the vegetable broth in the microwave or if using a vegetable broth powder (like I did) use warm water to prepare it. Combine all of the marinade ingredients together to a medium bowl. Add the soy curls and let soak for 10 minutes, stirring half way through to make sure all the soy curls get softened in the marinade.
- Add the flour into another medium bowl and set aside. Remove the soy curls from marinade and squeeze them to release any extra liquid. Save the leftover marinade for later. It's ok if there are still little soy curl bits leftover in the marinade. Place the squeezed soy curls in the flour and toss to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or frying pan. When hot, shake off the excess flour on the soy curls and add them to the pan. Fry, turning as needed until the soy curls are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour over all of the remaining marinade and stir in the plant-based milk. bring to a simmer and cook for 3 - 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Serve hot with sides of choice, over pasta, on rice, with mashed potatoes, or in anyway you enjoy!
Plant-based milk: I like to use an extra rich plant milk such as canned coconut milk or cashew cream, but any plant milk will work here. Make ahead: Allow the prepared dish to cool before storing in the fridge for up to 3 days. Gently reheat in a pot on the stove, adding a splash of water, vegetable broth, or plant-based milk to loosen the sauce if needed. Soy Curl Substitute: while soy curls can be easy to find in some parts of the world, they can be very difficult to find, or very costly in other places. Soy Chunks, Soya Chunks, TVP Chunks are all basically the same thing, just in different shapes, so try looking out for these intead. You can also substitute soy curls for extra-firm tofu or your favorite store-bought vegan meat alternative. There is no need to soak tofu or vegan meat alternatives so you can skip to step 2.
Serving: 1-serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 778mg | Potassium: 667mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 366IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 3mg