Vegan Hashbrown Potatoes
There are two tricks in this recipe to make these hashbrowns super quick and easy to make!
- 2 russet potatoes, grated (If you have a food processor grating attachment, I recommend using that as it makes it so much quicker)
- 1 tablespoon(s) coconut oil (or other light oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper
Wash the potatoes using one of the two methods:
- The salad spinner method: put the grated potatoes in the salad spinner basket and fill the whole thing with cold water. Spin the potatoes a few times to help release the excess starch. Drain, and repeat. Drain a last time and spin the potatoes to remove as much excess water as possible.The large bowl method: add the grated potatoes to a large bowl of cold water. Stir them around so the water becomes foggy. Drain and fill the water with clean cold water again. Repeat and drain again. Use a clean dish town to squeeze out as much excess water as possible.
To cook the hashbrown potatoes:
- In a large skillet or non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes. Sprinkle the salt and pepper across the top of the potatoes. Let sit cooking for about 5 minutes until the bottom has formed a golden crust. Stir the crust back into the potatoes, then continue to cook again until a new crust layer has formed. Repeat stirring the potatoes back into themselves, as many times as needed until the potatoes are cooked through and you have reached your desired crispiness, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Lastly, I like to pat the potatoes down into a compressed layer and do one final crust layer. Cut the potatoes into 4 sections and serve hot.
Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 296mg | Potassium: 444mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin C: 6.1mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 0.9mg