Grilled Veggie Gyros
Easy recipe for Greek styled dinner. Just marinate vegetables, grill, and assemble the sandwiches to taste.
Servings: 6 gyros
For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
For the grilled veggies:
- 2 zucchinis sliced thickly lengthwise
- 1 red onion cut into thick wedges
- 2 portobello mushrooms sliced thickly
- 2 bell peppers (red, orange, or yellow) sliced thickly
- 6 flatbread or pitas (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 recipe(s) Easy Vegan Tzatziki or store-bought vegan Tzatziki or vegan yogurt
- 1 tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) sliced black olives
- Prepare the marinade: mix everything together in a small bowl. Put the sliced veggies in a large dish and pour the marinade over top. Toss the vegetables to coat. You can let them rest for 1/2 an hour or start grilling right away.
- Grill the veggies: Heat your grill or grill pan over medium heat. Add the veggies and grill a couple of minutes per size until grill marks are formed and the veggies are tender all the way through. As you grill brush on the leftover marinade. Depending on the side of your grill you may need to do this in batches. You can heat your oven to 250F (130C) with a large baking tray inside to keep the grilled veggies hot while you cook the remaining veg. Lastly, toss the flatbreads on the grill and warm the bread just before assembling the sandwiches.
- Assemble the gyros: take a warmed flatbread and top it with the grilled veggies, a big dollop of Easy Vegan Tzatziki, a couple slices of tomato, and a sprinkle of black olives. Repeat to make 6 sandwiches.