Vegan Green Bean Casserole
Easy to make, can be prepared ahead of time and then baked fresh, it's way healthier than the traditional version, (it can even be made gluten-free and oil-free if you wish!) and of course it's the absolute BEST side dish.
Servings: - 8 servings
For the onions:
- 2 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon(s) plant-based milk (such as oat or soy)
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1/4 cup(s) panko bread crumbs (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
For the beans:
- 1 recipe(s) Vegan Condensed Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or oat)
- 1 bag(s)(500g) frozen green beans thawed and chopped into 2" pieces
To prepare the onions:
- Preheat your oven to 450F (230C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- Add the onions and plant-based milk to a large bowl and toss to coat. Sprinkle over the flour, panko, salt, and pepper and toss well to combine. Spread evenly over the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, stopping to toss them often, until the onions have softened and begin to get golden brown. Make sure to keep a close eye on them near the end as they can burn easily.
To prepare the green bean casserole.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350F (180C).
- In a 9" x 12" casserole dish (or similar size) mix together the prepared Vegan Condensed Mushroom Soup and the plant-based milk. Add the green beans and toss to combine. Bake for about 20 minutes until hot all the way through. Spread the prepared onions overtop and then bake another 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Make-ahead: prepare the onions according to the directions, let cool and store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Mix the Vegan Mushroom Condensed Soup with the plant-based milk and green beans, cover and store separately from the onions in the fridge for up to 2 days. Bake the dish fresh. Onions: I love this technique of baked onions for a healthier and lighter topping, but if you prefer you can alternately use store-bought fried onions. Green beans: for ease I like to use frozen and thawed green beans, but if you prefer to make them from scratch trim the green beans and chop them into 2 inch pieces. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch the green beans by boiling them for 3 - 5 minutes, drain, and then immediately submerge the green beans into a bath of ice water to preserve the bright green colour and stop the cooking. Proceed with the recipe as written. Oil-Free: to make this dish oil-free, use water or vegetable broth instead of the vegan butter to sauté the vegetables when preparing the Vegan Mushroom Condensed Soup. Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, choose almond or oat milk rather than soy milk.
Serving: 1serving (1/6th of the recipe) | Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 606mg | Potassium: 451mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 901IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 148mg | Iron: 2mg