Vegan French Toast made with coconut milk and banana. 7 ingredients, quick and easy to make, and tastes so much better than regular French toast!
- 1 banana(s)
- 3/4 cup(s) full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon(s) maple syrup (plus more for serving)
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegan butter (or oil) for frying (more if needed)
- 4 - 6 slice(s) bread day-old is best (gluten-free if preferred)
- In a blender or food processor add the banana, coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Blend to a smoothie-like consistency. Pour the mixture into a shallow wide bowl that will fit a slice of bread.
- Heat the vegan butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. The sugars in the fruit make the mixture very sticky, so I highly recommend using a very good non-stick pan such as this one. When the pan is hot and the butter is melted, dip a slice of bread into the batter and coat both sides. Place the bread in a hot pan and fry for a couple of minutes per side until golden brown. Serve hot with maple syrup, vegan butter, fruit, or any toppings of choice.
Tips for the bread: I like using a day-old or slightly stale bread. The is dried out a bit, so it will help hold its shape. I also recommend dipping the bread quickly on both sides and then placing directly into the hot pan. Letting it soak will just make it soggy. Pan selection: now I'm not gonna lie, the sugars in the fruit make the mixture very sticky, so I highly recommend using a very good non-stick pan such as this one. Even my well-seasoned cast iron pan wasn't ideal, so I'm definitely putting that pan on my kitchen wish list. Regardless of the sticking, this French toast is SO worth the trouble.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 261mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 150IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2.5mg