Vegan Egg Roll in a Bowl!
This recipe tastes like greasy take out, but it's healthy, vegan, easy to make, 30-minute recipe, and so super delicious! Just like an egg roll but without the wrapper. Skip the fuss of working with wrappers or using a fatty deep fryer, and meal prep this easy weeknight dinner.
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup(s) soy sauce (gluten-free if preferred)
- 3 tablespoon(s) plum sauce or sweet and sour sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
For tofu and cabbage:
- 2 tablespoon(s) sesame oil divided
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 inch(s) fresh ginger minced
- 1 12 oz block(s) extra-firm or firm tofu drained and pressed (see step 1)
- 16 oz cabbage (green, purple, or a combo) finely shredded
- 1 medium carrots peeled and grated
- Optional additions for vegan egg roll in a bowl: chopped green onions, roasted salted peanuts, plum sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, cooked rice or rice noodles
- Press the tofu: Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.
- Make the sauce: Add all of the sauce ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling: In a large skillet or non-stick pan heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown.Reduce the heat to medium and use your hands to crumble the tofu into the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes until the tofu begins to brown. Tip: don't stir the tofu too much, let it cook for a couple of minutes without stirring so that the bottom can brown. Stirring too often will make it difficult for the tofu to brown. Pour in about 1/2 of the prepared sauce and stir to combine. Remove the tofu mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil. Add the cabbage and carrot and sauté until the cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes more. Add the tofu mixture and all of the remaining sauce and heat through. Serve hot with rice (if using) and garnish green onions, peanuts, and dress with more soy sauce, plum sauce, or hot sauce to taste if you like.
Meal prep/ Make-ahead: Allow the dish to cool completely before storing in air-tight containers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Oil-free: to make oil-free omit the sesame oil. Use a good non-stick pan and use water or vegetable broth instead of the light oil to sauté the vegetables. You can add some sesame seeds for garnish if you want a little of that sesame flavour. Tofu: If you want to substitute the tofu, you can replace it with crumbled tempeh, sliced mushrooms, or any kind of veggie ground that you enjoy. Nut-Free: to make nut-free, omit the peanuts and optionally add 1 - 2 sesame seeds for garnish if desired.
Serving: 1serving without toppings or rice (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 975mg | Potassium: 501mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3118IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 2mg