Vegan Deviled Potatoes
The perfect make ahead, easy-to-make appetizer for Easter or any party. Only 7 ingredients to make this vegan-friendly take on deviled eggs. They even taste like eggs!
Servings: potato halves
- Add the potatoes to a pot of water and bring to a boil for 12 - 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender and you can easily pierce them to the center with a sharp knife. The time it takes to boil the potatoes will vary depending on their size. Drain the potatoes and rinse with cool water.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut each on in half lengthwise. Then use the large scoop of a melon baller or small spoon to scoop out a little crater in each potato. Put the scooped out potato flesh in a medium bowl.
- Now take the bowl of potato flesh and add the vegan mayonnaise, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, black salt, and turmeric. Mix together with a potato masher or fork until completely smooth and mixed well. As the potato mixture can vary in quantity due to the size of potatoes and the amount you scoop out, feel free to adjust the ingredient quantities to taste.
- You can either use a pastry bag or just a spoon to fill each potato. If using a pastry bag: attach a large star tip and fill a pastry bag with the mashed potato mixture. Squeeze a dollop into the crater of each potato half. If using a spoon: simply scoop a small spoonful of the mashed potato mixture into the well of each potato half.Garnish the filled potatoes with paprika as desired. Serve right away, or cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- When selecting my potatoes I made a point of picking out potatoes that were about the same size as an egg. The pre-bagged baby potatoes were a bit too small, so I just dug around in the potato bin.
- Black salt (also called kala namak) is a salt commonly used in South Asian cuisine. It is actually pink in colour, but it has an amazingly egg-like flavour. Using it in this recipe will give the potatoes an eggy taste. If you don't want this you can substitute regular salt.
Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 77mg | Potassium: 448mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 0.8mg