Vegan Creamy Pancetta & Pea Pasta
This pasta takes just 30 minutes to make and is super creamy with pops of sweet peas, and topped with smoky vegan pancetta which is made from tofu! This recipe is easy to make and is bursting with flavor!
For the Vegan Pancetta:
- 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm tofu drained and cut into small cubes
For the Creamy Pasta:
- 1 lbs pasta of choice gluten-free if preferred
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 3 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 1/2 - 3 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as oat or soy)
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 2 cup(s) frozen peas
For the Vegan Pancetta:
- You can make the vegan pancetta in your oven or in an air-fryer.Oven method: Preheat your oven to 325F (170C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.Air fryer method: Preheat your air fryer to 300F (150C).
- In a medium bowl mix together the soy sauce, tomato paste, olive oil, onion powder, liquid smoke, and pepper. Add the tofu cubes and toss well to evenly coat.
- Oven method: spread the tofu cubes evenly over the baking sheet, and bake for about 25 minutes, stopping to flip the tofu halfway through until the tofu has darkened and reduced in size.Air fryer method: spread the tofu in the air fryer and cook for about 20 minutes, shaking halfway through, until the tofu has darkened and reduced in size.
To make the Creamy Pasta:
- While the tofu is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Melt the vegan butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown. Sprinkle over the flour and stir continually while cooking for about 60 seconds. Whisk in 2 ½ cups plant-based milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Stir in the peas and simmer for another 5 minutes to cook the peas. Add the pasta and toss well to coat. If your pasta is a bit dry, add more plant-based milk as needed, up to ½ cup more plant-based milk. Top with the vegan pancetta and serve hot.
Make-ahead/ storage: You can prep the vegan pancetta and the creamy sauce ahead of time store in separate containers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just heat and toss with hot pasta when ready to enjoy. You can also store leftover fully prepared and then cooled pasta in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 491kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 906mg | Potassium: 668mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1095IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 228mg | Iron: 4mg