Cream of Mushroom Soup
This soup takes just 20 minutes to make! Quick, easy, creamy, and totally dairy-free.
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegan butter
- 16 oz button mushrooms sliced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour if preferred)
- 4 cup(s) vegetable broth (1 litre)
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cup(s) full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can) *see notes for subs
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- In a large soup pot, melt the vegan butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms have softened and browned. Sprinkle over the flour, stir in, and cook 1 minute more.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, coconut milk, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Use your spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan and remove any bits stuck to the bottom. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, to thicken slightly.
Coconut milk: I love coconut milk in this recipe because it is so rich and creamy. If you want to sub it you can sub with your favourite plant-based cream or milk, but choose a milk that is high in fat so that it won't separate and the soup will be creamy.