Vegan Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
Gorgeously creamy, rich, and cheesy tasting. Just 9 ingredients and 30 minutes to make, this healthy pasta is the perfect easy to make dish to enjoy during squash season!
Servings: (makes about 6 cups)
- 3 cup(s) macaroni noodles (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegan butter (or other light oil)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/2 medium butternut squash 580g peeled, deseeded, and chopped into 2 inch cubes (4 cups cubed)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon(s) white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the macaroni according to the package directions.
- In a large saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown. Add the butternut squash and vegetable broth. Cover and cook 10 - 15 minutes until the butternut squash is very tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add the cooked butternut squash mixture to a blender along with the nutritional yeast, miso paste, and salt. Blend until completely smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape the sides as needed. Be careful not to fill the blender too high so it doesn’t erupt. Alternatively you could use an immersion blender straight in the pan. If your sauce is too thick, you can add another 1/4 cup of vegetable broth or water. Return the sauce the pan, and add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and toss well to coat. Serve hot.
Gluten-free: use a gluten-free pasta, my fave is brown rice pasta. Oil-free: to make this dish oil-free, use water or vegetable broth instead of the vegan butter to sauté the onions and garlic. Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, swap out the miso for chickpea miso!
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 751mg | Potassium: 546mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10490IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 2mg