Vegan Buffalo Tofu Dip (Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip)
Tastes just like the classic, but better because it's easy to make, dairy-free, gluten-free, way healthier, make-ahead, and super delicious.
Servings: 8 (makes about 4 cups)
- Prepare the Vegan BBQ Shredded Tofu according to the directions, stopping after step 4 is complete. In other words, bake the tofu, but do not mix it with the BBQ sauce and water.
- Preheat your oven to 350F (180C).
- If you have a high-powdered blender you can skip straight to the next step. If you have a regular blender, you may want to soften the cashews first to ensure they blend smoothly. To do this add the cashews to a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes until the cashews are very tender. Drain and rinse with cold water before using.
- Add the cashews, 1 1/2 cups water, Franks Red Hot, miso paste, onion powder, and garlic powder to a blender, and blend until completely smooth and creamy, stopping to scrap the sides as needed.
- Add the prepared shredded tofu to an 8" x 8" baking dish (or similar sized dish). Pour over the cashew mixture and stir to combine. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the top has darkened slightly and the dip is heated through. Serve hot with tortilla chips and celery sticks.
Cashews: raw cashews are my preference as they have a mild flavour and are quite soft so they are easy to blend. For substitutions, you can try replacing the cashews with softened blanched almonds, or softened raw sunflower seeds. Miso paste: miso paste adds an aged umami taste which makes this dip taste cheesy. Miso is my preferred flavour wise, but you can try subbing sauerkraut, or olive juice for a similar briny flavour. Make ahead: The unbaked dip can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the fridge for up to 2 days. Then bake when you're ready to serve. If baking straight from the fridge, it may take a couple of minutes longer to heat through.
Serving: 1serving without chips (recipe makes 8 servings) | Calories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 706mg | Potassium: 246mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 2mg