Cheesy Black Bean and Corn Quesadilla
Spiced black beans and corn, on top of a homemade melty dairy-free cheese, with diced tomato, green onions, and cilantro. This is the perfect easy weeknight meal, and bonus, most of it can be made ahead of time, making it quick to grab and assemble when hunger strikes.
For the black beans & corn:
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/2 jalapeno finely diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup(s) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup(s) corn kernels thawed if frozen
- 1 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
For the quesadillas:
- 4 - 6 large flour or corn tortillas (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 batch Homemade Vegan Nacho Cheese (or 1 1/2 cups store-bought vegan cheddar cheese)
- 1 tomatoes diced
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 handful(s) fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) salsa
- To make the black beans and corn: Heat the oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeño, until the onion softens and begins to brown. Now add in the black beans, corn, and spices, and heat through, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble the quesadilla: Heat a large dry pan over medium heat. I like toasting my tortilla on both sides. To do that, lay the tortilla down in the pan and let toast for about 1 minute until it’s just starting to get golden spots on the bottom. Flip and now add the toppings to the toasted side of the tortilla. On one half, smear a couple spoonfuls of the nacho cheese across, then top with several spoonfuls of black bean and corn mixture, a sprinkle of diced tomatoes, and garnish with green onions, and cilantro. Use a spatula to fold over the tortilla making a half moon shape. Pat down the tortilla with your spatula so it all sticks together. Cook for about 2 minutes on one side, then flip and cook another 2 minutes on the other side so that the cheese is melted and everything is heated through. Remove from pan and cut into 4 triangles. Serve with salsa.
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan