Tofish and Chips (vegan fish and chips)
The "fish" is made from tofu with a special technique that makes it flaky and full of flavour, all fried up in a homemade beer batter.
Servings: 4 tofish pieces
For the tofish:
- 1 16oz block(s) medium or firm tofu drained and pressed (see step 1)
- 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) white miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
For the batter:
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 - 1 1/4 cup(s) soda water or beer
- 1 sheet(s) nori cut into pieces (see step 4)
- oil for frying
Optional Add ons: french fries, vegan tartar sauce, lemon wedges
- Prep the tofu: Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.Once the tofu is pressed, slice the tofu into four slices about 1" thick. To make the flaky texture, take one of the tofu pieces and slice the tofu part way through repeatedly about 1/4" apart. It's helpful to use chopsticks on either side of the tofu to stop from cutting all the way through the tofu so the slices remain intact. See the photos in the post for a visual guide.
- Mix the marinade: mix together the vegetable broth, lemon juice, white miso paste, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt in a flat dish or resealable bag. Add the tofu slices, being careful to handle them gently so they don't fall apart. Let marinate for a minimum of 1 hour or as long as a few days covered in the fridge. I usually marinate it overnight in the fridge.
- Make the batter: in a medium bowl mix together the flour, paprika, garlic powder, and salt. Add 1 cup of soda water or beer and mix. Add up to 1/4 cup more liquid as needed to reach a thick pancake batter consistency.
- Cut the nori: to make a fish-like skin I use nori sheets (the same sheets of seaweed you use to roll sushi). Cut 4 rectangles that are about the same size as the four tofu pieces. Set aside.
- Fry the tofish: pour enough oil to generously coat the bottom of a heavy skillet or pot. Put over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot and ready for frying, take a piece of nori and place it on the side of the tofu that doesn't have cuts. Hold the nori on the tofu and dip the tofu into the batter to coat. Gently place the battered tofu directly into the hot oil, being careful as it may spit. Repeat with the remaining tofu slices. Fry 2 - 3 minutes per side, turning as needed until the batter is golden and crisp all over. Drain on paper towel. Serve hot with chips, a squeeze of lemon, and tartar sauce.
Serving: 1piece of tofish estimating 1 tablespoon of oil each | Calories: 343kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 774mg | Potassium: 63mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 340IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 2.9mg