The Ultimate Vegan Chocolate Cake
If you're looking for the chocolate cake of your dreams, this is it. No one will even know it's vegan!
Servings: 2 layer cake with frosting
- 2½ cup(s) all-Purpose flour
- 2½ cup(s) white sugar
- 1 cup(s) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2⅔ cup(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- ⅔ cup(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) vanilla extract
- ½ cup(s) vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- ½ cup(s) vegetable shortening
- 1¼ cup(s) powdered sugar
- ¼ cup(s) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) plant-based milk (if needed)
- To Make the Cake: Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Prepare two 8" round baking pans by lightly greasing them, and then cutting a circle of parchment paper to fit into the bottom.
- In a large bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all of the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix. Divide the batter into the prepared pans, then pop them in the oven. Bake for about 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool completely before frosting.
- To Make the Frosting: Use a mixer to blend all of the frosting ingredients except for the plant-based milk. Blend until whipped and creamy. If the frosting is a bit too stiff, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of plant-based milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- To Assemble the Cake: Run a knife around the edges of the cake pans, and flip the pans over to remove the cakes. Remove the parchment paper and discard. Place the first cake on your cake plate, and spread about half of the frosting on top. Place the second cake on top of the frosted cake, and spread the remaining frosting on top of that cake. Add swirl patterns with your spatula to make it pretty. Store the cake in the fridge or a cool place until you are ready to serve.
To make cupcakes: Line the wells of cupcake pans with 24 paper liners. Follow directions for the cake recipe, but then divide the batter evenly among the cupcake wells. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting. Vegetable shortening is a vegetable fat that is solid at room temperature which is why it's great for frosting as it holds its shape. If you don't have that, you could use more vegan butter, but make sure everything is cold as the butter might be a bit meltier. Alternative flours: I'm not an expert in alternative flours, so substitute at your own risk. For gluten-free, I have heard good things about Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 flour. Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, choose almond or oat milk rather than soy milk.
Serving: 1Slice of Cake with Frosting (Recipe makes 12 servings) | Calories: 590kcal | Carbohydrates: 81g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 332mg | Potassium: 285mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 56g | Vitamin A: 580IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 3mg