The Ultimate Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
Thick slices of smoky, marinated tofu on an English muffin with mashed avocado, a slice of ripe tomato, and a homemade 5-minute vegan egg yolk inspired sauce. The tofu gets more flavourful the longer it marinates. I just keep it marinating in the fridge, so when morning hunger strikes, it's game on!
Servings: 4 sandwiches
For the tofu:
For the vegan egg yolk sauce:
For the vegan breakfast sandwich:
- 4 English muffins sliced in half and toasted (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 avocados mashed
- 1 tomatoes sliced
- To press the tofu: Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.
- To prepare the tofu: mix the nutritional yeast, olive oil, soy sauce, water, liquid smoke, Sriracha, and garlic powder together in a large resealable bag or a small casserole dish. Add the tofu pieces and turn them to coat evenly. Let marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes but the longer the better, overnight works great! I like to store my tofu covered the fridge so that I have marinated slices ready to go in the morning. They should keep for about 1 week.
- When you are ready to cook the tofu, heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot add the tofu slices and any remaining marinade. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. The marinade will get sticky and brown, so just push it onto the tofu with a spatula as this will add even more flavour.
- To prepare the egg yolk sauce: In a small pot, whisk together the water and cornstarch. Now stir in all of the remaining ingredients. Put over medium-high heat and whisk while it cooks. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the dipping sauce thickens. Serve hot with strips of buttered toast and a crack of pepper.
- To prepare the vegan breakfast sandwich: take 1/4 of the mashed avocado and spread it on the bottom layer of an English muffin. Top the avocado with a slice of tofu, add 1 - 2 tomato slices, drizzle as much or as little Vegan Toast Dipping Sauce as you like, and then add the English muffin top. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 sandwiches. Enjoy hot. I like serving the remaining Vegan Toast Dipping Sauce on the side for dipping (if there is any left).
Black Salt: the black salt you buy should also be called kala namak. Do not mistake this for any other salt. The salt is actually pink in colour and smells and tastes likes eggs. This is what makes this sauce taste like egg yolk! You can find it at international grocery stores, or online on amazon. If you want to skip using black salt, no problem! Just omit it and add regular salt to taste. It will still be a delicious sauce, it just won't taste like eggs. Oil-free: to make oil-free, omit the olive oil in the tofu marinade and replace it with vegetable broth. Pan fry to tofu in a non-stick pan without oil, or air-fry it at 350F for 5 -10 minutes until golden. Omit the oil in the vegan egg yolk.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 431kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Sodium: 1304mg | Potassium: 667mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 331IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 3mg