Sweet & Spicy Sriracha Tofu
Sweet and Spicy Sriracha Tofu. The crispy tofu, the heat of Sriracha, and the sweet agave sauciness make one fine combination.
For the tofu:
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm tofu drained and pressed (see step 1), cubed
- 1/3 cup(s) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable) for frying
For the sweet & spicy sauce:
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1/4 cup(s) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup(s) white sugar
- 1 - 3 tablespoon(s) Sriracha (depending on your spice preference)
- 2 tablespoon(s) agave
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- To press the tofu: Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.
- To make the tofu: add the tofu to a medium bowl with the cornstarch. Toss well to coat, and shake off excess.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the tofu cubes until all sides are browned. About 4 minutes each side. Drain tofu on paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
- To make the Sriracha sauce: in a small saucepan, 1 cup water, soy sauce, sugar, sriracha, agave, and garlic, then bring to a boil. In a small bowl or glass, mix the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water together. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and whisk well. Continue to cook another minute or two until the sauce thickens.
- Toss the sauce with the tofu and serve over a bed of rice or other grain if desired.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1213mg | Potassium: 191mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 21IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 2mg