Spicy Watermelon Vegan Sushi
That isn't spicy tuna, it's watermelon!! This spicy watermelon vegan sushi is the perfect combo of sweet and savoury. Quick and easy to make.
Servings: (enough for about 4 rolls)
For the spicy watermelon:
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon(s) Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon(s) soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon(s) white miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cup(s) watermelon, finely chopped
To make sushi rolls:
- 4 nori sheets (or more if needed)
- 1 recipe(s) prepared sushi rice
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, mix together the vegan mayonnaise, Sriracha, soy sauce, white miso paste, and sesame oil until smooth. At the last minute before rolling your sushi add in the watermelon and toss to combine. The first time I made this I thought it would be a good idea to let the watermelon marinate in the sauce. Wrong. When you do that the watermelon gets all watery making a saucy mess, so toss the watermelon with the sauce just before using in sushi.
- To make a sushi roll, with wet hands, thinly spread prepared sushi rice on a sheet of nori, leaving about 2 inches of exposed nori at the top. Fill with watermelon and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. I used both black and white sesame seeds but you can use whatever kind you like. Carefully roll the sushi up, and when you reach the top, lightly wet the exposed nori with water to help glue the roll closed, then finish rolling. Wet a sharp knife and cut into sushi rounds. If any watermelon falls out, simply push it back in.
I also love this spicy watermelon vegan sushi served Buddha bowl style. On top of a bed of rice, with a few sheets of nori seaweed snack, some slices of avocado, green onions, and cucumber slices. So fresh and lovely! Soy-Free: for soy-free, substitute a soy sauce for a soy-free option such as coconut aminos. Also, swap out the miso for chickpea miso!
Serving: 1roll (recipe makes 4 rolls) | Calories: 220kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 191mg | Potassium: 116mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 457IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan