Spicy Spinach Mushroom Pasta
If you like spice (and I LOVE spice) this pasta just might become your new fave. And if you don’t like spice, no big deal, just reduce or even omit the crushed red peppers flakes for a dish that still bursts with flavor. Earthy mushrooms, sautéed spinach, lots of garlic, and Italian seasonings make for a perfect, easy weeknight meal.
- 14 oz short pasta, such as farfalle or shells (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegan butter
- 8 oz button mushrooms sliced
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 6 oz fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon(s) italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water before draining.
- Melt the vegan butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to release their juices and just begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste, if desired. Cook, stirring often, until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Add the pasta and toss well. If the pasta seems a little dry add the reserved pasta water as needed. Serve hot.
Oil-Free: to make oil-free, omit the vegan butter and instead do a water or broth sauté.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 452kcal | Carbohydrates: 81g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 383mg | Potassium: 738mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4301IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 3mg