SpicyBlack Bean and Kale Salad with Chipotle Lime Dressing
This salad is creamy and SPICY! If you don't like too much spice, no problem! This salad can be made mild. Just replace the chipotle peppers with roasted red peppers. You will likely have leftover dressing, so feel free to make this salad again, or use the leftovers for dipping veggies, toast, or as a gorgeous sauce to amp up any meal.
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon(s) lime juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) agave
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (sub roasted red pepper for mild version)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
For the black beans:
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion ,
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 19oz can(s) black beans (2 cups) drained and rinsed
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) agave
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
For the salad:
- 1/2 bunch kale finely shredded
- 1/2 head romaine chopped
- To make the dressing, add all of the dressing ingredients to a small blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If you do not have a blender, finely mine the chipotle, and then whisk everything together in a small bowl.
- To prepare the beans, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes until they soften and begin to brown. Add in the black beans and all of the remaining bean ingredients. Stir well to combine and cook until heated through, adding a splash of water if needed to keep it saucy. Another 3-5 minutes.
- To assemble the salad, mix the kale and romaine together in a large bowl and top with the prepared hot black beans. Drizzle on a small amount of the dressing to taste (you can always add more later). Serve right away. (See notes for make ahead).
Oil-free: to make oil-free replace the vegan mayonnaise with vegan yogurt. Omit the olive oil when making the beans and instead do a water or broth sauté. Make-ahead: let the beans cool completely and then store the beans in an air-tight container in the fridge. Store the dressing in a seperate container in the fridge. And store the greens in their own contianer. Assemble fresh or a few hours before serving. You can enjoy the bean mixture hot or cold.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 251kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 167mg | Potassium: 796mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 9111IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 4mg