Smoky Tofu & Bean Soup
A vegan version of ham and bean soup with sweet, smoky, salty, and chewy tofu bites topping the soup.
Servings: (makes about 2 litres)
For the smoky tofu:
- 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce (Gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon(s) maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) liquid smoke
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm tofu drained and sliced into small bits
For the bean soup:
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 rib(s) celery chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 6 cup(s) vegetable broth (1 1/2 litres)
- 2 can(s) 19oz navy beans (4 cups) drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt (or to taste)
- For the tofu: preheat your oven to 325F (170C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the soy sauce, maple syrup, and liquid smoke. Add the tofu pieces and toss so that all of the tofu is covered in sauce. Spread the tofu pieces in a single layer on the baking sheet with any remaining sauce. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, stopping to flip every now and then until the tofu is golden brown and a bit chewy. Some of the sauce from the tofu may burn on the pan, just scrape it off with a spatula and continue baking as needed.
- For the soup: in the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté until the veggies start to get tender, about 5 minutes. Add in all of the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. To serve, ladle the hot soup into bowls and top with several pieces of smoky tofu each.
To save for later, store the smoky tofu bites and soup separately. This ensures that the tofu stays chewy.
Calories: 212kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1069mg | Potassium: 581mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2970IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 3.1mg