Smoky Spicy Chickpea Stew
Super quick and easy to make, but don't be fooled by the simplicity of this recipe, it's bursting with complex flavours. It gets even better the next day so it's a perfect make-ahead meal.
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 1 28oz can(s) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1/4 - 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper flakes (depending on spice preference)
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon(s) brown or white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 19oz can(s) chickpeas (2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 2 large handfuls chopped kale or spinach (about 4 cups)
- Heat the oil in a large pot or high-sided skillet. When hot, add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion turns transluecent and begins to brown.
- Stir in the tomatoes, smoked paprika, crushed chili flakes (I used 1 teaspoon), dried thyme, sugar, and salt. Continue to cook, stirring often, for 10 - 15 minutes until the tomates have cooked and darkend in colour.
- Mix in the chickpeas and kale and cook another few minutes until heated through and the kale wilts into the sauce. Serve hot over cooked grain of choice.
Oil-free: skip the olive oil and do a water or broth sauté instead. Gluten-free: use a gluten-free grain such as rice or quinoa (not cous cous). Chickpeas: can be substituted with an equal amount of another type of bean. Spicy: if you do not like spice you may omit the crushed chili flakes. If you do like spice you can use 1/4 teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed chili flakes depending on your spice preference. (I used 1 teaspoon). Smoked Paprika: If you do not have smoked paprika on hand you can use regular paprika and a few dashes of liquid smoke. Make-ahead: this recipe tastes even better the next day. Store the cooled stew in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 - 4 days.
Serving: 1serving without grain (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 257kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 504mg | Potassium: 1027mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 7576IU | Vitamin C: 103mg | Calcium: 222mg | Iron: 6mg