Simple Smoky Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
This simple, smoky, gooey, cheesy goodness makes for the perfect, melty grilled cheese sandwich-no fancy store-bought cheeses needed! This sauce only takes about 5 minutes to whip up so you can make it when hunger strikes, or you can make it ahead of time and store it for later. If you're not into smoky flavors, just sub the smoked paprika for sweet paprika.
- 1 ½ cup(s) plant-based milk (such as oat or soy)
- ¼ cup(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 3 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon(s) onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon(s) salt
- ¼ teaspoon(s) turmeric
- vegan butter for spreading
- 8 slices bread (gluten-free if preferred)
- To make the cheese sauce: Mix together the plant-based milk, flour, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and turmeric in a medium saucepan. Set over mediumhigh heat, whisking often, and cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat. The sauce will get even thicker as it cools.
- To make the grilled cheese: Butter one side of each slice of bread. Heat a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Put 4 slices, butter-side down, into the pan. Divide the prepared cheese sauce evenly among the 4 slices. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread, butter-side up. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom, carefully flip, and repeat on the other side. Serve hot.
Quick tip: This cheese sauce works great as a dip for nachos as well. Simply add an extra ¼ cup of plant-based milk when mixing everything together to make it a bit thinner (which is best for dipping). Serve hot with tortilla chips. Make-ahead: Store the leftover cheese sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It will get thicker as it chills. It can be used directly from the fridge to make fresh grilled cheese sandwiches.
Serving: 1sandwich (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 627mg | Potassium: 373mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 595IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 206mg | Iron: 3mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan