Seriously The Best Lentil Shepherd's Pie
Perfect for a hearty meal. The garlic mashed potatoes take this from ordinary to extraordinary! Can be made ahead of time and reheated.
- 1 tablespoon(s) oil (olive, canola, vegetable)
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 carrots , peeled and chopped
- 16 oz button mushrooms , sliced
- 4 clove(s) garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cup(s) brown or green lentils (or 38oz canned lentils, see notes)
- 3 cup(s) vegetable broth (or 1 vegetable bouillon cube, see notes)
- 1 cup(s) fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup(s) BBQ sauce (check to make sure it's vegan)
- 1 recipe Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and thyme and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes until softened and bits are browned. Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Return the pan to heat, add in the lentils, and vegetable broth. Cover, and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes until the broth is absorbed and the lentils are tender. While the lentils cook, prepare the mashed potatoes according to the directions.
- Add the vegetables back to the pan with the lentils, and add the peas, BBQ sauce, and soy sauce. Heat through. Scoop the mixture into a casserole dish or large skillet and then spread the mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until the pie is hot and bubbling around the edges.
Quick Prep: For a quicker prep, you can use canned cooked lentils. Just drain and rinse before using and crumble 1 vegetable bouillon cube in with the lentils and stir to combine. Oil-free: cut down on oil by doing a water or broth sauté. Soy-Free: for soy-free, substitute a soy sauce for a soy-free option such as coconut aminos.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 8) | Calories: 445kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 1891mg | Potassium: 1690mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2918IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 7mg